Friday, December 25, 2009

Caga Tió


Caga Tió is a Catalan Christmas tradition.  In English, Caga Tió means 'Poop Log'.  Starting early in December the children put a Caga Tió out in the house.  They feed him daily in hopes that he will grow.  At night they even cover him in a blanket to keep him warm.

As December progresses the parents replace Caga Tió with bigger and bigger Caga Tiós.  Until finally he is fully grown by Christmas.  Then on Christmas the children gather around and sing a song to the Poop Log while beating him with sticks and ordering him to poop.  The children then leave the room to let him poop... because of course he needs some privacy.  When they return Cago Tió has pooped out a bunch of presents for the kids to play with.

If beating a Poop Log with a stick doesn´t say Merry Christmas, I don´t know what does.  Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. If my poop logs produced presents, I would be a rich man!!
    Bausano

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to adopt the tradition! So crazy!

    ReplyDelete