Saturday, August 6, 2011

Brit-Speak

One reason I thought moving from Spain to London would be easy was because we would be returning to the world of English.  I knew of course that our version of English and 'their' version of English would be somewhat different, but the degree to which it has been different has been astounding!

Of course there are the obvious differences you hear in movies/etc. like:
  • Flat = Apartment
  • Lift = Elevator
  • Fag = Cigarette
  • Bloody = well I don't know what, but it sounds bloody British, doesn't it?
I now know those small differences are only the tip of a very humongous Anglo-iceberg!  Joe and I are still amazed at the sheer volume of words/phrases we hear on a weekly  basis that we have never heard before (or never heard in that way).  Some are correct, but weird... while others are just plain wrong.

There are far, far too many to put into one blog so I've decided to start a new feature on the blog...  Brit-Speak!  From time to time I'm going to update with words/phrases/etc. that just don't seem to click with my American (what they'd call 'yank') upbringing.

The first one is one that absolutely makes my ears bleed... and that is the use of the word 'well'.   They use it to mean 'very'.   Here are some examples:

  • How are you?  I'm well good.
  • I'm well tired - don't think I'll be going out tonight.
  • She is well fit (fit = good looking).
Cringe!!!

Anyway... watch for future Brit-Speak blogs.

xx

1 comment:

  1. Just want to add that it's mostly uneducated douchebags that use
    'well' that way... makes my ears bleed too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete