Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Stateside!

On the plane!
At 4 and a half weeks old Caden made his first trip home to the States.  While Joe and I were so excited to spend a few weeks at home, we were equally terrified to fly 8+ hours with an infant... especially an infant dealing with colic (more on this in a later blog).  Our biggest fear was to be 'those people' that everyone whispers about under their breath... 'who brings an infant on a trans-Atlantic flight...'.  I guess, we do.

But with two weddings and lots of family/friends waiting to meet our little guy we knew we had to do it.  And I have to say Caden did GREAT!  He put the other onboard babies to shame.

First stop was Columbus, Ohio to meet Grams.  If I had one word to describe my Mom with Caden it would be obsessed (in a good way).   She seriously cannot get enough of our little guy... but who can blame her, he's only the cutest baby in the world (not trying to brag, it is a simple fact).


While in Columbus we had a little get together so friends/family could meet Caden.  One of the coolest parts was that with my Grandma there we had 4 generations from the Dolloff side altogether.  Grandma's commentary consisted of... 'he is one big baby', 'he has nice feet', and 'he is cuter than your dad was'... she's always had a way with words.

4 Generations Altogether

Next stop was Oxford, Ohio for Ashley (aka Gris, Gressel, BFF4eva) and Jeff's wedding.  Ashley of course made the most beautiful bride and I was so honored to stand up as one of her bridesmaids! 



All the Bizzies back together!

Being back at Miami and reuniting with all the ladies from the Biz (our house in college) brought back tons of emotions.  
  • First, that I miss my Bizzies and wouldn't trade those years living in our ghetto-fabulous pad for anything.  (Bizzie = one who lived in the Biz)
  • Second, I also wouldn't go back for anything because life seems to just keep getting better and better.  
  • And third, that I am officially OLD.  I felt especially old as I sat at Bagel & Deli at 9AM with a husband and a stroller and watched a 19 year old girl across the street (clearly still dressed in her stilettos and mini-skirt from the night before) leave a frat house only to realize she left something inside and was locked out.  The said 19-year old then tried to break back into the frat house to retrieve whatever she had forgotten while I simply watched and wiped spit up off Caden's face.  Oh how quickly life changes.   


Caden's first trip (of many) to the Mecca of bagel shops

Then we were off to Chicago so Caden could meet Grandpa Paul, Auntie Gretchen, and all our Chicagoan friends.    

Hanging out with Grandpa Paul & Grandma Kathy

Auntie Gretchen

Joe's parents hosted a get-together for us while we were there which was so fun because tons of our good friends/family turned up.  At one point during the party I looked around and realized that amongst our friends there must be more than 20 kids... again I felt old... but also happy.  We clearly have entered a new 'life stage'.

Merritt & Mark with Caden

@Cullen's with Kristen & AJ

And finally we stopped in Williamsburg, Virginia for Jordan (my cousin) and Jeff's wedding!  As expected, Jordan was stunning... so much so that I could not contain my emotions when she came down the aisle (I blame the post-pregnancy hormones).   And of course it was so fun seeing so many of my aunts, uncles, and cousins together.  

Gillman Cousins... only missing Bri & Telly

Then it was back to London.  All in all the trip was a bit of whirlwind but I wouldn't have it any other way since we got to see so many friends and family.  

For more pictures from our trip, click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun trip! And to think you were just miles away from me in Williamsburg! one day we will see each other again! I love you and your sweet little family!! Do you think you'll ever move back to the states?

    Xoxo

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete