Wednesday, August 29, 2012

2012 Olympics - London!

As you all know the 2012 Olympics were held in London this summer.  And we were super fortunate to get tickets to 4 events!



First up... WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!  The capital letters and excessive use of explanation points do not even begin to express the excitement I felt when I found out we got gymnastics tickets in the lottery!  Even as I write this I still cannot believe we saw the US compete in person!

Growing up this was THE Olympic event in my household.  So much so that we would recreate uneven bar routines on the bars in our closets (or any closet, much to the detriment of a closet bar in a summer holiday house... oops).

The Fierce Five!

Gabby Douglas!!!!

Next up was ping pong... I mean table tennis.  Joe was strangely excited about this one whereas I still have reservations about this even being classified as an Olympic sport.  But I went along with it and had a good time.  The ping pong crowd was actually the highlight for me as they were surprisingly boisterous.




Our third event was men's football/soccer semi-finals at Wembley Stadium.  We got to see Mexico and Senegal and clearly cheered for our Mexican amigos.... ole ole ole....

Mexico won 4-2 and eventually went on to win the gold!



And for our final event we were lucky enough to watch the US women's football/soccer team win the gold medal against Japan!  This was an INCREDIBLE experience.  There were equal supporters for both teams and the enthusiasm and angst of the crowd was like nothing I've ever felt before.  I will never forget the feeling I had when they blew the final whistle and the US team all huddled together as they started playing We Are The Champions.  I may or may not have shed a few tears.



And while Caden did not get to go to any of the events he was sporting his cutest red, white, and blue outfits in support of the US!


In closing we loved being in London for the Olympics.  To see our other Olympic photos click play on the slideshow below or click HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment