Last week, I took a day trip to Tarragona with my friend, Lacy, while Joe was studying for finals. We were pretty sure we were the ONLY tourists visiting that day so we had easy access to everything.
Tarragona is a Catalan 'city' (felt more like a town) made up of about 150,000 people and lots of Roman ruins. I thought the Roman Ampitheatre (shown below) was the coolest part. It was built in the second century... incredible!
While wandering through some alleys we heard a lot of drumming and cheering... so we followed the noise until we stumbled upon a Semana Santa (Easter Week) preparation parade. There were several groups of people carrying handmade floats topped by covered figurines. Apparently, they'll uncover the figures for Easter. Each float had its own drum band following it throughout the town. Check out how cute the little drummer boys are!
After we finished following the drummers we found a cove of cats. I love cats, but I have to admit seeing them all crawling on top of each other kind of grossed me out. Then a woman came up around the bend with her little dog and the cats just flocked to her! We understood why once she started pulling cat food out of her bag. She explained to us that she feeds them (and another cat cove) every day! Cute but weird.... but more cute than weird.
To check out all of the other highlights push play on the slideshow below or click HERE to see the full-sized photos.
Holy cow Jess! These pictures are gorgeous. I'm really suprised at how nice everything is there. My coworkers said it's a very industrial area.
ReplyDelete