Just before our time in Spain was over we decided to take one last trip just the two of us. We settled on Toledo and Salamanca, Spain. Joe had always wanted to take me to both towns because he studied in Toledo for a semester during college and taught English in Salamanca for a summer. Because of this I nominated him as my personal tour guide, navigation system, etc.
We spent the first night in Toledo, and I loved it! It's a fairly small town with super steep and windy cobbled roads. It was even cuter than normal because it was all it up for Christmas. As you can imagine, this was the ideal setting for romantic Christmas strolls through the tiny side-streets... well it would have been the perfect setting except for one thing.
I wanted to look 'cute' for our vacation, so the day before I went out and bought brand new black boots that may or may not have had 3.5 inch heels. New boots, high-heeled boots none-the-less, on windy cobbled streets basically = death. Now in an attempt to maintain my cute new look, I tried desperately not to complain about the boots. I tried to stroll along casually pretending to like the Christmas lights and quaint shops, but eventually Joe noticed my slight horse-like trot that was developing. I actually think those may have been his exact words. This is where I should mention that I didn't pack any other shoes and we were only on evening one of four.
As my walk continued to deteriorate, Joe's 'wittiness' only seemed to be on the uptick. He was not exactly going to let me live down my bum walk that was slowing by the minute. As a side note, he kindly pointed out that I had also seemed to develop a lopsided arm swing to accompany my gimpy walk. The right arm was swinging at an incredibly fast rate - as if it was trying to physically propel me forward and overcompensate for the lack of mobility in my legs. Not sure why the left arm wasn't in on this plan... it seemed to just hang somewhat dormant at my side. This wasn't exactly the 'cute' look I had been going for for our Christmas date.
Wow... did not plan on writing a full-blog on my boots. As not to overly bore you, I'll just give you the highlights from the rest of the trip:
The rest of Toledo:
- Toledo is also the home of marzapan, aka almondy, buttery, sugary, heaven-like candies. Paul, we thought of you with each bite!
- Visited the cathedral (one of the coolest I've ever seen), el Greco museum, and the Alcazar fortress
- Had a really good steak dinner... something not easily done in Barcelona
- Saw the school where Joe was a student back in the day!
Salamanca:
- Went to Plaza Mayor... many say this is the prettiest plaza in all of Spain. I would have to agree!
- Hung out at the Irish bar Joe used to frequent while living in Salamanca. A cool little pub, but all of the college students made us feel kind of old... it was as if they all knew upon our entrance that we were not one of them. Dear John Enright, we thought of you.
- Got a bit lost trying to do a self-guided walking tour. I think it may have been more fun that way, anyway.
Despite the boot incident, it was an incredible last trip in Spain! And Joe admitted on the last night that even with my horse-trot limp, I had managed to look cute :) Not sure if that's pity or love, but I'll take it!




No comments:
Post a Comment