Thursday, September 30, 2010

La Vaga General

La Vaga General is Catalan for General Strike.


Spain, along with several other European countries, held a general strike yesterday to protest new government austerity measures such as increasing the age of retirement, making deep budget cuts, and weakening job security.



So what did that mean for us?  It meant... no transportaion, no trash clean-up, no shopping, no anything. Even the human statues on Las Ramblas were striking!



The other crazy for me was that it seemed as if the entire city had been covered in grafiti over night!  Buildings, signs, cars, anything and everything was covered in 'VAGA'. 





Around 6:00 things started to get crazy.  People started lighting the trash, dumpsters, really anything on fire.  They also started attacking the police by forming lines of people and launching huge cement chunks at them.  Somehow I found myself stuck in the middle of all this for about 2 hours!







Many store windows were broken in by brooms and cement rocks (seriously, where did all the cement come from?).  And then I caught this man looting.  He may be happy he has a new computer today, but how's he going to feel tomorrow after I send this to the police.  Sorry buddy, but I cannot support looting on my street!



I really do not understand how destroying your city is going to miraculously create jobs.  I guess they need to hire people to help clean-up the destruction???  


Check out a video of the action below.  I was amidst the fire and crazy rock throwing wars... don't worry they didn't catch me starting any fires on film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment